Can I have your wardrobe please? My 11 fave film characters and their outfits…
OK. So my work schedule is crazy at the moment as wedding season is in full swing. This means my posts this week will be mostly shallow and a bit of fun as I use my downtime for pure silliness. Last night I was watching a film (over my laptop) and I thought woo. I would like her clothes. I would swap my wardrobe for these clothes. Then that got me thinking about other films and and thus followed my search for my top 10 (now top 11) fave characters whose wardrobes I would like to have in my house. Ahh to dream. Lets start then…
11. Charlotte York from Sex and the City. Obs waaay too sophisticated for the likes of me - I would never be able to keep up the preening but I’m a Charlotte girl and her preppy style makes me want to be a WASP.
10. Sally the rag-doll from Nightmare before Christmas. Talk about upcycling - this cute dolly totally works it and owns it in her patchwork dress.
9. Giselle from Enchanted. If I could make a dress like this from some curtains I’d dance, sing and twirl through the park every day.
8. Star from The Lost Boys. OK. So you are lucky I am admitting to this one but I was a tween when this came out. This was my Twillight. As soon as I saw this I went out and bought a gypsy skirt, let my hair dry naturally (hello burst mattress) shimmied around to dodgy saxophone rock and waited for the vampires to come to me. Still waiting Kiefer. Still waiting.
7. Yvaine from Stardust. I have a soft spot for this film. Dunno why - just makes me smile. I sure as hell know if I fell from the sky I would not look like Yvaine (I did do a skydive once but I looked more like Bridget Jones in my dodgy googles and half mast all-in-one flying suit) The thing about Yvaine is the more she gets captured the cuter the dress she gets put in. If someone gave me clothes like that I would happily be a prisoner.
6. Thelma Dickinson from Thelma and Louise. No one. I repeat. No one can rock double denim like Mrs Dickinson. A bit of dust, a bottle of Wild Turkey and a gun to go with and I’m sold.
5. Lucy Eleanor Moderatz from While You Were Sleeping. I have loved this film for years. It is my favourite Christmas film by miles. Lucy wears her dads old coat, dowdy jumpers with sleeves that are too long and a scruffy mop of hair and yet she is a man. magnet. This totally gave me faith that I would find love even when dressed like a scruff.
4. Marie Antoinette. OK so her life did come to an abrupt end and I am totally referring to the films costumes rather than real life. But wow. One day - just one teeny day - I would love the chance to dress up like this and stuff my face with pastel macaroons.
3. Vivian Rutledge from The Big Sleep. In another life I could be Vivian - sitting around in my kicky beret and hounds-tooth coat looking divine. I’m just not cool enough though. I can admire from afar instead - Lauren Bacall you are awesome.
2. Allie Calhoun from The Notebook. Just to die for… umm not sure whether I was referring to the clothes or Ryan Gosling there. OK moving on. If only I could live through this era and wear pretty tea dresses and beautiful marcel waves without a hint of fancy dress or irony. I love.
1. Summer Fin from 500 days of Summer. I mean it’s got to be- right? My absolute number one wardrobe swap would be Summer Fin. I spend the film saying things like ‘oooh cute’, ‘wow amazing dress’ or ‘wah why didn’t I think of that??’ Zooey if you are listening and you got to keep the clothes. I’m brimming with envy. Too cute, too cute, toooooo cuuute.
So there are my faves. I know Holly Golighlty and Viviene Ward are missing but to me they seemed a little obvious? What an incredibly fun waste of time though. Let me know if I have missed anyone.